July 6, 2011

Colombia 0, Korea DPR 0

With neither team having a chance at the quarterfinals, Colombia and Korea DPR battled to a scoreless draw over 90 minutes. Both teams finished with one point in Group C, but technically Korea DPR finishes ahead of Colombia because of goal differential.

Colombian coach Ricardo Rozo elected not to start Yoreli Rincon, nor did he use her as a substitute. Both teams went with the same goalkeeper they had in the first two matches, Hong Myong Hui for Korea and Sandra Sepulveda for Colombia.

Momentum shifted back and forth over the first 45 minutes. Colombia took the early initiative, with Korea pressuring more after the 20th minute, but Colombia closing the half strong.

Orianica Velasquez was the most active player in this match. She attempted two shots early on, with Hong saving one near the post and the other going wide.

In the 7th minute, Jo Yun Mi shot wide from 18 yards on Korea's first really offensive opportunity of the day. Jo had one of the best chances of the half for Korea in the 25th minute, but her hard shot from 12 yards was saved by Sepulveda. Later a cross found Jo making a near post run, but her shot went wide of the left post.

Colombia may have gotten a bit lucky late in the half. Ra Un Sim attempted to dribble into the penalty area, but was knocked down by Nataly Arias. The referee allowed play to continue with no foul being whistled.

Velasquez continued to fire away in the 2nd half. In the 55th minute, she sent one well over the net from 20 yards. A little later, her free kick from 35 yards was a laser beam, but unfortunately right at Hong.

Katerin Castro had a chance in the 67th minute, as she received the ball 12 yards from the goal on the right side of the penalty area, but her shot was blocked by a Korean defender before it reached the goal.

In the 72nd minute, Ri Ye Gyong shot the ball over the net. Another Korean chance came in the 85th minute as Jo was able to attempt an uncontested header from 10 yards, but put it wide of the left post.

Velasquez had one final effort in stoppage from 35 yards, but the ball sailed a foot wide of the left post. The match ended in a scoreless draw.

Surprisingly, with so many shots in this match, there were very few dangerous scoring chances. Both teams had to be disappointed to come away from the tournament without scoring a goal. But considering these were the two youngest teams at the World Cup, perhaps they have a bright future to look forward to.